Re: I am still on the keyring. With my old key.

Hi Henning,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 02:18:02AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com>
>
> > "push aside"? There's no rule that says there can be only one. Yes,
> > replacing someone could become ugly, but providing additional hands
> > can't be considered bad, can it?
>
> It can be considered bad from a technical viewpoint - as far as I
> understand the master copy of the keyring is currently on a medium
> that is under the keyring maintainer's direct physical control.
>
> The "obvious" way of switching to team maintenance of the keyring
> would entail keeping the master copy in a central machine - for
> example on a debian.org box somewhere in a colo. Doing that in a way
> that does not leave the keyring more vulnerable to surreptitious
> compromise than some reasonable persons might prefer, requires
> software support that does not currently exist.
>
> If somebody designs and implements (after a suitable architectural
> review) some software to support distributed keyring maintenance in a
> secure, auditable way, it is likely that calls for adding more people
> to the task would be considered more seriously.

This is an interesting technical position but one that I think is
incorrect.

The keyring-maint@debian.org is to add, update and remove keys in the
keyring.  Generally both the add and remove functions should be done
after being directed to -- either via a GR or from the Debian Account
Maintainers (DAM)s, or in the case of removal once a developer has
resigned -- not on their own accord.

This leaves the update function, which has a number of components:
	- update the signature set of existing keys (simple)

		Poll the various public keyservers to for each key existing
		on the keyring.

	- migrate a developer from current to emeritus and vice versa (medium)

		I would assume that this also occurs upon the
		instructions of some other entity, either QA, the
		developer themself, via GR, etc.

	- replace an existing (compromised, lost) key with a new one
	  (hard)

		This seem to be the problematic function.

		This is hard because the solution it isn't just technical
		(like the first), nor social (like the second) but a
		combination of them both.

		One solution might be:
			- require the developer to generate a new key
			- require the developer to have _at least_ N
			  number of other, existing developers sign
			  their key
			- once the developer submits their new key,
			  the keyring-maint can select M of the N
			  signatures from existing developers and ask
			  them to further assure keyring-maint that the
			  developer in question is who they say they
			  are.
			- once that check passes, update the keyring.

		    I would suggest that M be 2 and N be 3.

> > Anyway, ISTM that removing keys from a keyring is much more important
> > than adding new ones, right?
>
> It is also more difficult to implement in a secure distributed way.
> Anybody can think up a scheme for using gpg signatures to prevent keys
> from being added without authorisation in the first place. Making sure
> that a removed key stays removed is a more complex question -
> particularly if emergency powers-to-remove just get kludged onto the
> existing system as an afterthought.

As I have indicated above, I do not believe the role of keyring-maint is
to make *any* decision but to act upon the instructions of other parts
of Debian (QA, DAM, tech-ctte, DPL(s), DDs via GR).

Ideally the role of keyring-maint can be useful performed by a script
but since the set of entities who could instruct the keyring-maint is
large it would probably make sense to have a number of humans fronting
that script.

Cheers,
Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are