Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 2

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:05:02AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 06:08:52PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Probably I should do a massive bug report ?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.  Thanks for working on this!

I started the bug filling, see the result here:
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=circular-deps;users=ballombe@debian.org>

Also Robert Lemmen provide now the listing of packages affected per
maintainers here:
<http://debian.semistable.com/unstable_developers.txt>

I would like to thanks the maintainers for the positive feedback I got
(only two reports get summarily closed so far).

> Though I think we have at least some false-positives to weed out first:
>
> >    * libxtst6 libxtrap6 libxrender1 libxrandr2 libxpm4 libxp6 libxt6
> >    libxmu6 libxi6 libsm6 xlibs
>
> Given that I can remove xlibs from my system and not take any of these other
> libs along, this looks like a false positive (probably as a result of the
> many or'ed deps on xlibs).

I am not sure, there are other possibilities since dpkg will not
install extra packages to break a circular dep.  However much of the
grief come from the | xlibs (>> 4.1.0) which is meant to handle upgrade
from woody which have a monolithic xlibs, and can probably be removed
now.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>