Re: master's mail backlog and upgrade time

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (hmh@debian.org) wrote:
> Since we are talking about it, it is not always trivial to special-case an
> incoming connection for a local bounce instead of a SMTP-level bounce,
> though.  At least not with all MTAs.

Using an MTA with the capabilities you need should be a prerequisite to
running an MTA.

> I can do so with postfix because I have a two-layer setup anyway (mail gets
> twice through the system, for content filtering with extremely high input
> rate.  I just tell the first instance to let master through, and the second
> one to reject -- this causes a *local* bounce, as mail is already queued and
> accepted).  I am not even sure if it can be done [in postfix] in a single
> layer setup (smtpd->queues->MDA).  Anyone would know how to do it?

I expect you could do it though I havn't tried myself because I'm not a
big fan of smtp-level rejects exactly for these reasons.  I just accept
and then discard (at least for known userids, but I don't expect many
people to be setting up forwards for non-existant userids).  I would
have thought that at the least you could accept it, detemine it's SPAM
and then have a procmail bounce-creating rule without all that much
difficulty.

	Enjoy,

		Stephen