Re: master's mail backlog and upgrade time

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Ian Jackson (ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk) wrote:
> > Stephen Frost writes ("Re: master's mail backlog and upgrade time"):
> > > Then bounce it locally.  Duh.  No reason to force master to deal with
> > > the bounce messages you feel are 'right' to send.
> >
> > I don't bounce it.  I reject it at SMTP time with a 4xx or 5xx code.
>
> Congradulations!  You've found the problem!

"*THE*" problem?

*THE* problem is related to master's MTA configuration, handling and
administration, and not in anything else that gives it extra work to do.

Bouncing crap to master is *a* problem, because one should not be bouncing
back stuff to middle-of-the-way MTAs that are known in one's setup, and
master certainly qualifies.

Since we are talking about it, it is not always trivial to special-case an
incoming connection for a local bounce instead of a SMTP-level bounce,
though.  At least not with all MTAs.

I can do so with postfix because I have a two-layer setup anyway (mail gets
twice through the system, for content filtering with extremely high input
rate.  I just tell the first instance to let master through, and the second
one to reject -- this causes a *local* bounce, as mail is already queued and
accepted).  I am not even sure if it can be done [in postfix] in a single
layer setup (smtpd->queues->MDA).  Anyone would know how to do it?

  Henrique Holschuh