Re: State of gcc 2.95 use in Debian unstable

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 21:07 +0100, Miros/law Baran wrote:
> 16.11.2005 pisze Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net):
>
> > Debian is staffed by volunteers who do this because they want to.
> > I, for one, appreciate very, very much what they do for me.
>
> <quote>
> Writing/maintaining software is providing a service (even when
> it's free). You need to listen to your customers if you want to
> learn what features they need and thereby improve your product.

Consumer, yes (of bandwidth and DD time, effort, etc), or "user",
but not a customer, since the dictionary explicitly uses terms
and phrases like "makes purchases of a trader; a purchaser; a
buyer" and "person with whom a business house has dealing".

Now, if used RHAS, then I'd be a customer of RH, since I'd be
paying them.

> Of course, the customer isn't _always_ right, and often they
> suggest specific implementations which don't fit into the "grand
> scheme", but it's the input of ideas which is important. Even if
> they seem at first to be "wrong", I've found it's always worth
> thinking about them, even if you ultimate modify or reject them.
> This is all IMHO, of course.

If you did s/customer/user/ then I'd agree with you.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless."
Jeff Polk