Re: RFC: allow usage of mknod in postinst

On Sunday 13 November 2005 09:17, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> * Marco d'Itri [Sat, Nov 12 2005, 12:42:07PM]:
> > Package: sl-modem-source
> > Version: 2.9.9d-7
> > Severity: serious
> >
> > See policy 10.6: packages must use MAKEDEV instead of calling mknod.

I must agree with Mr. d'Itri in this case.

> I suggest changing the policy to reflect the reality. Using a wrapper
> like MAKEDEV to maintain device nodes which use arbitrary choosen
> major/minor numbers is just not very useful.

It is useful because it prevents breakage.  GNU/kFreeBSD uses devfs to manage
devices (because FreeBSD does) and it might break our systems (though
probably not in this particular instance).  For example:

bmc@stonewall:~$ sudo /sbin/MAKEDEV /dev/tty
Results undefined on non-Linux systems, aborting MAKEDEV invocation.
bmc@stonewall:~$ uname -s
GNU/kFreeBSD

MAKEDEV does it right, and that's why it's in policy.

> In this case, there is even more code to fix the major/minor numbers
> because of a transition, you cannot seriosly tell me to "do that with
> MAKEDEV". I remember having waited _months_ for addition of DVB devices
> into makedev.

Then you have a problem with the makedev maintainer.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx>
Running on GNU/kFreeBSD