Re: device nodes with udev?

[Ian Campbell]
> It's to support older applications which don't know about the
> /dev/pyts/ interface. Whether the legacy device nodes come from a
> static /dev or from udev doesn't really enter in to it.

/dev/{pts/,ptmx} are so trivial to support (in applications) that I
think it's worthwhile to disable legacy BSD pty support in Debian
kernels, and fix whatever still breaks.  That is, unless we think there
are still a significant number of third-party non-free apps out there
still using them.

Likewise, I'd also support having udev ship a rule which by default
ignores /dev/{tty,pty}[p-za-e]*.