Re: device nodes with udev?

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 21:03 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> >> The main offender is ptys -- I use udev for my devices, and normally
> >> /dev/pts gets used for ptys, but with the new kernel there were suddenly
> >> about 10 zillion old-style pty-related device nodes -- /dev/[pt]ty[a-z][0-9]
> >
> > So tell the kernel team to stop enabling CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS.
>
> I presume that default kernels need legacy ptys to support older systems
> that don't use udev, right?

It's to support older applications which don't know about the /dev/pyts/
interface. Whether the legacy device nodes come from a static /dev or
from udev doesn't really enter in to it.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Amon Amarth - Without Fear

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.