Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:53:53AM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 18:31 +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:45:52AM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:
> > > If Debian really wans to be "system runtime" independent, and would like
> > > to have Debian GNU/Solaris port, it should release dpkg as LGPL
> > > software. This should help FreeBSD and GNU/Solaris non-glibc ports to
> > > suvirve.

> > Please stop mentioning the FreeBSD port as an example of your licensing
> > problems. There is no license problem with the BSD kernel, and
> > GNU/kFreeBSD uses dpkg for a long time now.

> ok. lets assume Debian and Nexenta communities needs to sort out
> GNU/Solaris's non-glic port issue. It is still serious one. Please help
> to resolve it.

Whether the CDDL is GPL-compatible or not, whether it's decided to be
DFSG-compliant or not, the CDDL is a *bad* license from a Free Software
standpoint because it imposes conditions on users use of the code which
other Free Software licenses do not.  I don't see any incentive at all for
Debian, as an organization dedicated to Free Software, to try to "sort out"
this issue.