Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Erast Benson <erast@gnusolaris.org> writes:

> today. may be not tomorrow. People are smart enough to not discard
> non-glibc ports and will come up with the solution.

I am quite content with binaries built from my GPL-licensed software being
illegal for a port using a CDDL-licensed libc to redistribute.  I agree
with the reason why that clause is in the GPL, and for software where I
don't want it to apply, I use a different license.

There is nothing to solve as far as I'm concerned.  The GPL is working
correctly.

This has nothing to do with non-glibc ports.  It has to do with ports
using a libc licensed under the CDDL, which other alternative libcs do not
use.  It is a problem specific to Solaris, and you should be arguing with
Sun about it, not with individuals who freely chose to use the GPL for
their software in full understanding of the implications.

> Once it is doing, there will be nothing stopping Sun to make SUN libc
> dual-license.

That would certainly be the best solution (or second-best next to just
making the CDDL GPL-compatible).

Moral of the story: Licensing libc or other vital system libraries is
tricky and hard, and one should think very carefully about what
distributions one wants to support and what licenses one will need to be
compatible with before just slapping the same label on it as on all of
one's other software.