Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:45:52AM -0800, Erast Benson wrote:

> If Debian really wans to be "system runtime" independent, and would like
> to have Debian GNU/Solaris port, it should release dpkg as LGPL
> software. This should help FreeBSD and GNU/Solaris non-glibc ports to
> suvirve.

Being system-runtime independent is a great goal, but helping free
software is a better one. Releasing dpkg under the LGPL would allow
people to build proprietary software on top of dpkg, and we (for the
most part) don't see that as desirable.

On a more practical note, the dpkg copyright file lists 24 people as
copyright holders. Debian itself does not hold the copyright. You'd need
to convince all of them to change the license.

(Unrelatedly: I'm still waiting for a username/password for the
gnusolaris.org site. How long should I be expecting it to take?)
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org