Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Erast Benson <erast@gnusolaris.org> wrote:

> To make it happen, we need to resolve "dpkg" issue and initial boot
> strapping process. Which is quite possible to re-write dpkg as CDDL
> software. But to avoid duplication of work, it will be wise for Debian
> community to release dpkg under LGPL license. Of course, if Debian
> community serious about non-glibc ports. If not, I doubt Nexenta OS will
> ever be part of Debian community and will continue its way more like
> Ubunutu. Think about it.

I did a great deal of work on a non-glibc port of Debian. That wasn't a
problem - the C library was under a GPL-compatible license. I've been
waiting for a conclusion to the multiarch issue before pushing it any
further.

However, as has already been pointed out to you, Debian has no control
over the people who hold the copyright on dpkg. Knowing several of them
personally, I'd be surprised if they're willing to relicense their code
under a license that allows it to be used in proprietary projects. It's
just not something that Debian's especially interested in.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org