Re: more tolerant licensing for Debian infrastructure

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

to, 2005-11-03 kello 11:06 -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas kirjoitti:
I submit anything written specifically for the Debian Project should
either have some more permissive yet DFSG-compliant license or at
the most GPL + an exemption for linking to other DFSG compliant software.

One of Debian's main priorities is free software. Many of us are of the
opinion that free software is better served by the GPL than, say, the
BSD license. It would upset me, and I expect others, to have the project
require, or even strongly prefer, a non-GPL license, especially so if
the purpose is to allow software written for Debian to be used to create
systems that are not fully free. Further, we also believe this serves
users best.

Yet we did make the kinds of compromises that open the door to not fully free software. We even confirmed we wanted that with a GR.

Is this relevant? I don't know. It could be if someone were to strenuously argue for it. Which I won't.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>