Re: Transition time: KDE, JACK, arts, sablotron, unixodbc, net-snmp, php, ...

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:
>
>> The enormous ABI transitions have been particularly hard, of course.  If
>> we can avoid ABI-breaking transitions in the future it would help.  :-)
>> I think we have a poor image of the effectiveness of 'testing' because
>> *both* of the last two releases have had one of these monster ABI
>> transitions.
>
> This makes it seem like we should *expect* such an ABI-breaking
> transition.  We didn't expect that, but now we know better.

I think we would need a very different release process if we plan to have
giant interface breaks for every release; specifically, one which starts
'testing' out empty except for the transisitoned base packages before each
release, and lets packages crawl in as they satisfy the requirements of
being built to the right interface (so 'testing' never contains any
packages built to the wrong interface).

--
ksig --random|