Re: Transition time: KDE, JACK, arts, sablotron, unixodbc, net-snmp, php, ...

> Steve Langasek a écrit :
> So I would like to propose to drop testing during a limited period of
> time (let's say 4 months) after the release, to have the time to make
> all the necessary big transitions. If the period of time is limited, the
> stable distribution will not be too out-dated, so that it won't be a
> problem for our users. Moreover, that will make them stopping
> complaining about Debian, I would like to stop hearing "unstable is more
> stable than testing, Debian is getting bad".

The issue being that if you dropped testing for a period of time, it
doesn't solve the issues we have now.

My take on the whole situation is that, now testing has been around
for a while, the tools now exist to pinpoint the problems and work out
where the blockers are. Without something like testing you'd still
have to go through the whole process of making sure all the
dependancies are OK.

I do agree, testing seems to be at its worst just after a release. But
things like gimp-print should only be an issue if you install testing
directly. If you upgraded to testing, you can opt not to have
gimp-print removed and you should be fine.