Re: Packages file missing from unstable archive

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Ian Bruce wrote:
> option was implemented. Perhaps it's thought that more testing is
> required before it can be used for the archives; is there any other
> reason not to use it?

The way gzip --rsyncable works is perfectly safe, it cannot cause data loss
AFAIK.  It just makes gzip begin compression blocks in predictable places of
the plaintext data, that tend to stay constant.

OTOH, it does decrease compression ratio (probably *very* little).  But if
compression ratio was important, we would have switched to bzip2 for
everything anyway.

AFAIK, there is no technical reason for not using gzip --rsyncable, other
than the simple fact that nobody modified the dak code yet.

  Henrique Holschuh