Re: Dependencies of -dev packages

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:36:08AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> May I humbly remind people that allowing any sort of arch autodetection in
> a Debian package build *IS* *A* *BUG*.

Who talked about _arch_ autodetection? I think the discussion was about
packages that previously only tried detecting the presence of certain
headers or library functions should now use pkg-config, and that may
only work with Debian-provided .pc files until changes are accepted back
upstream.

Arch _selection_ is an orthogonal problem. And no, just saying
dpkg-architecture is not enough, because with multiarch,
dpkg-architecture still has to know which architecture does the user
want to build for, and that selection must be propagated all way down
(e.g. by adding the appropriate -m32/-m64 switch to gcc).

> > On the other hand, autodetection is never perfect and bugs always
> > happen. But if we can agree that the general direction is good and worth
>
> The fact that it is attempted at all is the bug.

So you call the existence of autotools a bug? I welcome you to write a
moderately complex application that builds both on Linux and AIX without
any autodetection and without requiring the user to specify a plethora
of options...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences