Re: Dependencies of -dev packages

Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:24:11PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> The problem is that pc files are architecture dependent. With
>> multiarch there will be
>>
>> /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu/glib.pc
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib.pc
>
> Well, pkg-config already places .pc files under /usr/lib instead of
> /usr/share, so the intention is clearly that .pc files _are_
> arch-dependent. The nice thing is that users won't even notice if we
> change the default search path from /usr/lib/pkgconfig to
> /usr/lib/<arch>/pkgconfig (the existing .pc files of course have to be
> relocated, but that will be part of the multiarch transition).
>
>> Depending on the -m32/-m64 switch for gcc only one of them is valid.
>
> pkg-config is usually run by configure, way before gcc is invoked. So
> we need a way to tell pkg-config the desired architecture. The simplest
> thing is to install a wrapper that sets PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR before calling
> the real pkg-config.
>
> Gabor

That is indeed the problem. But how would a wraper help? You still
have to somehow tell the wraper if gcc will later be invoked with -m32
or -m64.

Only solutions I see sofar is to either pass the gnu tripple to
pkgconfig, to have configure set some environment variable or to
include some variable in all paths that gcc later fills in.

MfG
        Goswin