Re: Packages that need to be rebuilt agaisnt libssl0.9.8

2005/10/7, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com>:
> Well, only in one direction if I remember my versioning rules correctly.
> Consider the following cases:
> * binary built against unversioned libssl from other distro, running with
> versioned libssl on Debian
> Breaks because it can't find the symbols.
> * binary built against versioned libssl on Debian, running with unversioned
> libssl on other distro
> Works, because if it can't find a versioned symbol, it tries the unversioned
> symbol.

Actually, as long as the dynamic linker understands versioned symbols,
either combination works. If an unversioned symbol is found it as
matched against the oldest version available. Not always right
ofcourse, but no worse than without versioning.

The problem would be if two different groups go and version the
symbols in a different way (OPENSSL_0.9.8 vs OPENSSL_0_9_8). But as
long as we're the only people versioning, there's no problem. If it
becomes an issue we can add their version names to our libraries.