Re: Packages that need to be rebuilt agaisnt libssl0.9.8

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> The problem would be if two different groups go and version the
> symbols in a different way (OPENSSL_0.9.8 vs OPENSSL_0_9_8). But as

I will repeat myself once:  just hunt down and email the openssl maintainers
for: SuSE, RH/Fedora, Mandriva, Gentoo, plus upstream, with the explanation
of why we versioned the symbols and the patch (and YES, I can write the
explanation if anyone needs it).

They won't set a different symbol if you use something that Solaris will
also accept (upstream) or that looks sane (other distros).  Probably most
will apply the patch.

Information about Solaris is easy to find, and appears to be exactly the
same as what is done in Linux, other than they have preferred namespaces:
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/als00/2000papers/papers/full_papers/browndavid/browndavid_html/

Other distros will soon notice (and there is no reason why you can't email
them directly, either) when the biggest ones start versioning symbols, and
the next edition of the LSB will pick it up if all major players deployed
it.

  Henrique Holschuh