Re: libpng10(/2) gone, [gdk-]imlib1 and GNOME 1 going -- check yourpackages

Thomas Bushnell wrote:
>Do not delete packages just because you think nobody *should* use
>them; delete them because nobody *does* use them.
I am suggesting deleting them because nobody *can* use them.

Unless libpng10 is  brought back, none of these packages are usable.  Are you
volunteering to package and maintain libpng10?  If so, good for you!  If not,
I believe that permanently uninstallable packages should be removed.

Now, the removal of libpng10 was probably premature, and I wouldn't have done
it with so many packages still depending on it.  I would have orphaned it
instead.  But it's been done now.  There are two ways to deal with that: put
it back in the archive, or remove the things which depend on it.

I sent this message to debian-devel because I realized that this massive
increase in uninstallability had probably happened without the notice of most
of the involved maintainers.  It wasn't my doing!

>Right now, the
>gnome-1 packages are still used.
Not in a fresh install of unstable they aren't; they're uninstallable.

Andreas Tille wrote:
>... same for imlib1 which is used as well.

It's uninstallable, and the maintainer is abandoning it.
You want to keep it?  Maintain it.  And maintain libpng10 while you're at it,
because imlib1 won't work without it.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,