Re: planet.debian.org vs. blog illiteracy

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 03:13:17PM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
> On 26/09/05, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/26/05, W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org> wrote:
> > > IMHO, the blog has some drawbacks:
> >
> > > - answering to questions difficult (not as easy as pressing
> > >   'r'eply or 'g'roup reply in mutt)
> >
> > I think that this is part of the essence of blogging.  When you write
> > a mail to debian-devel you risk being flamed about whatever you are
> > saying.  When you blog about it, it's your right to say what you think
> > and feel like.
>
> And most of the blogs block comments, which is infuriating.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "infuriating". A blog is not an
email; it's part of one's website. It's not at all unfair to have a
website be something that only you can talk on.

For comparison, I usually dislike moderated forums; however, my blog
comments have been implemented as a moderated system. This is mostly
done as a way to fight spam; however, if someone posts something on my
website that is either completely besides the point or that I seriously
disagree with, I will not hesitate to moderate it away.

My blog is my own; a mailinglist is not. That is the main difference.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond