Re: Standardizing ~/.cache/ and similar things.

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 18:27 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 19, Alastair McKinstry <alastair.mckinstry@ildana.net> wrote:
>
> > Unlike Marco, I do see a lot of value in reorganising at least _some_ of
> > the 'configuration' files of users: seperating out .mozilla web caches
> > and .evolution IMAP caches greatly relieves the size of  backups of ~/
> > directories. If all caches were in one directory it would make it
> What about http://www.brynosaurus.com/cachedir/spec.html ?
> tar supports it.
>
> > possible to fit a slimmed /home on a single .iso to archive / backup,
> > for example, whereas now it takes 2 DVDs due to IMAP and web caches,
> > etc.
> It's not like it's an Herculean task to add a couple of directories to
> the exclude list of your backup program...

And then another, and another, and then you go do a backup, and,
oops!, it's bigger than you planned, because you forgot to add
another exclude.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Temporarily not of Jefferson, LA USA

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That
way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Jack Handey