Re: Standardizing ~/.cache/ and similar things.

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 15:17 +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Faré [Sun, Sep 18 2005, 07:43:43PM]:
> > Dear Debian developers,
> >
> > here is a proposal I submit for inclusion in the debian policy:
> >
> > PROPOSAL 1: ~/.cache/${package_name}/
>
> There is no point in moving everything to <dot>foo style names, it is
> just not worth the work. I like the current method used by autodevtools,
> I can set $HOME as prefix and just get _few_ additional and immediately
> visible dirs in my $HOME: bin, lib, share.

This is increasingly true, especially with naive users not using ~/ much
at all, but keeping any random files in ~/Desktop in Gnome, etc.

Unlike Marco, I do see a lot of value in reorganising at least _some_ of
the 'configuration' files of users: seperating out .mozilla web caches
and .evolution IMAP caches greatly relieves the size of  backups of ~/
directories. If all caches were in one directory it would make it
possible to fit a slimmed /home on a single .iso to archive / backup,
for example, whereas now it takes 2 DVDs due to IMAP and web caches,
etc.

Also, if people do not like a prefix of $HOME because it places visible
names in $HOME, they could also use $HOME/.somename, etc.

Regards
Alastair