Re: hotplug blacklists

On Sep 19, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> Easily done.  Conflict with all packages providing blacklist entries by
> themselves, and convert everything else.  This will keep things safe for
> sid/etch users at low cost (a few conflicts you have already tracked down
> anyway), and order the sarge->etch upgrade properly.
"Send a patch".

There is also the problem of /etc/hotplug/blacklist, which will not be
removed until hotplug will be manually purged and may have been modified
locally (and what you see from one side as an automatic upgrade
procedure I see from the other side as silently dropping configuration
debris which may cause unexpected behaviours in the future).

> Please correct me if I am wrong, but the script conversion will be necessary
> for a proper upgrade path from sarge to etch anyway, and thus such stuff is
> *non-optional*.
It's arguable how much drivers blacklisting is critical.
It's uncommon for users to do it, and as long as they read the
NEWS.Debian email before rebooting nothing bad will happen anyway.

--
ciao,
Marco