Re: hotplug blacklists

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:29:13AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > What about user-installed blacklists?  Will the new packages at least try to
> > convert these from blacklist format to modprobe format?
> No (but feel free to send code to do it).

is it really that complicated?  unless i'm missing something, wouldn't
it be as simple as

echo "# user defined blacklists converted from hotplug" > $tmpfile
cat $blacklist_files | grep -vE '^[[:space:]]*#' | \
	sed -ne 's/^\(.*\)/install \1 /bin/true' > $tmpfile
ucf $tmpfile /etc/modprobe.d/hotplug-blacklists

(of course provided for proper handling of tmpfile generation and a
debconf prompt, i guess).  I think if you're going to discontinue
support for such a feature, it would be very beneficial to the user
community as a whole that they are informed of this during the upgrade,
if not provided an easy upgrade path... as otherwise it will break
everything from sound to networking to who knows what else for many people.

	sean