Re: Standardizing ~/.cache/ and similar things.

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 19:07 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 08:21:21PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Faré wrote:
> > > PROPOSAL 3: ~/.run/ ~/.lib/ ~/.share, etc.
> > > Programs that insist to install stuff in the user's directory (such as
> > > openoffice, gimp, etc.), or that have runtime files (such as emacs'
> > > .saves-*) should put this stuff in a proper hierarchy that mirrors the
> > > categories of the FHS, only on a per-user basis. This will help
> > > administration of per-user installed stuff in the same way that the
> > > FHS helps with machine-global installed stuff.
>
> > I like this idea.
>
> I don't.  I don't think it has any business in policy when there are *no*
> packages doing this today.

I think it's a *great* FHS idea, but a *horrible* Debian idea.

If that makes any sense.

I'm glad that OP also sent the idea to the FHS/LSB people.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Temporarily not of Jefferson, LA USA

"... going to war without France is like going deer hunting
without an accordion. You just leave a lot of useless noisy
baggage behind."
Jed Babbin, former deputy undersecretary of defense in the first
Bush administration