Re: Easy third-party package installer for debian-based distributions

Hi,

Sorry for being concerned with usability issues (hence average joe) while
dealing with the way debian works. I guess that only ubuntu-devel was
interested by this message then.

I am not claiming that synaptic is hard to use, (it can even be easier in some
use cases), I am just claiming that adding a third party repository can be
difficult for a newcomer, and my post was about trying to find an acceptable
solution to this problem.

And yes, maybe third party are not competent enough to provide decent packages.
but if we don't even provide a framework they can build upon, they are never
going to use it...

So, as a summary :
- apt-get & dpkg solutions don't fulfill all the requirements :

1) Does not subscribe to future updates
2) Does not allow the third party entity to provide several packages

- some people spoke about autopackage. I would be pleased to hear about some
links detailing how autopackage plans to integrate with apt/dpkg.

Regards,
Sami Dalouche