Re: Debian Reference

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 04:20:32AM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> > Your observation is somewhat correct.  I think user oriented
> > distribution manual is collection of documents now.  See list on
> > http://www.debian.org/doc .
>
> I am well aware of that URL, and it's not ideal.  Lots of things spread
> about and out of date.  And a Progeny manual to boot.  The best *cough*
> thing I found was the Debian Dictionary.  That needs removal.

What needs removal? The Dictionary or the manual? In an ycase, /doc/ is
probably sub-optimal as it is a list of available documentation in Debian,
what I believe you miss is something like "New to Debian?" that points people
to documentation they should read first, this includes: the installation
manual, the FAQ and the Debian Reference.

Maybe the support page (www.debian.org/support) should list these instead
of refering people to /doc/ directly.

Of course, changing the doc index so that the obsolete or not up-to-date
documentation is removed (or marked as such) might help too.

Regards

Javier