Debian Reference

I have been taking a lot of interest in the Reference recently, as a result of time on d-u and #debian, and seeing where we fall short from a documentation point of view.

Before I get too involved however, can somebody give me a guide as to how the Reference is looked upon from within Debian? I don't particuarly want to dive in if it's a dead duck. It seems to me that it is the closest thing that we have to a distro manual, and contains lots of useful pointers, but suffers from lack of visibility and lack of structure.