Re: curl 7.14.0-5: OpenSSL vs GnuTLS is still a problem

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> >> It could certainly be resolved: different libraries should install
> >> different files.
> >
> > You also need different SYMBOLS. Which requires symbol versioning, and that
> > the symbols provided bu curl+gnutls be differently versioned than the
> > symbols provided by curl+openss.
>
> This would be nice too, but Debian does not have a rule that different
> libraries must never provide the same symbol names.

Of course we don't.  It is a bug if you try to link to two libs that cause a
symbol clash.  OTOH, if you don't ever try to link them, why would we forbid
it?

So, find another excuse. Maybe there is a better way of fixing the bug (my
favourite would be to fully version openssl and gnutls, and get libcurl to
not change ABIs at all when linked to either.  You'd only need to link
libcurl to gnutls, then.  No more license headaches).

  Henrique Holschuh