Re: a desperate request for licence metadata (was Re: migrating w iki content from twiki (w.d.net) to moinmoin (w.d.org))

Actually, I stand partially corrected as of:

> Actually, in Norway, I got a limited right to copy it, a given right
> to modify it, a limited right to distribute it, and a limited right to
> distribute copies.

Down here (Brasil) -- and I suspect in the USofA too -- NO (or, better
saying, extremely limited) rights to modifying copyrighted works (IOW
the _creation_ of derivative works is an exclusive right of the copyright
holder modulus some "fair use" things)

> And I find that these rights are sufficient for my use of the books.
>
> > The wiki content is useful for other people, not only for them to
> > read, but also for them to copy, modify and redistribute. And for
> > them to do just that they need an explicit license.
>
> Which I fail to understand, as the limited rights provided to me by
> law should be sufficient for the wiki content in most cases.
>
> Is it not like this where you are?

Not really.

Remember that this is Debian, and we like our stuff Free. The limited
rights do not permit a wiki reader to modify an article and publish
(in a magazine for instance) the modified article -- and we would like
to have such rights (as we do have for all our software).

Other thing is that there is no _real_ difference between software and
documentation. What if I publish a bash/perl/python script on the wiki
and it gets modified and then used as part of another, bigger piece of
software -- exactly because it's useful?

Got it?

--
HTH,
Massa