Re: a desperate request for licence metadata (was Re: migrating wiki content from twiki (w.d.net) to moinmoin (w.d.org))

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:58:59AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I might be slow, but can you explain why we need a license for this?
> I do not need to license my books, but I do need to license my
> software.  Why should the wiki documents be treated more like software
> than a book?

your book has a copyright, where all rights are reserved, thus no one
can copy/redistribute your book without you (or more likely your
publisher's) consent.

i believe the motiviation is that the wiki admins/contributors
might want to have a copyright that is slightly less restrictive
than "all rights reserved".  the best way to specify what the terms
of use, copying, modification, and/or redistribution are is via
a license.

	sean