Re: Is dpkg --compare-versions canonical?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:03:05 +0200, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> said:

> * Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu) [050823 22:58]:
>> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>> > It is out of date since it does not explain ~ yet. Maybe, if you
>> > have the time and since you just looked at the matter closely
>> > anyway, you could draw up a few lines and send a patch?

>> I'm certainly willing to do so, but I thought that policy wasn't
>> ready to change yet.  Wasn't it waiting on implementation of that
>> feature in dak, which is currently using ~ internally for something
>> else?

> There is no reason to not update policy right now, as long as we add
> a footnote that ~ cannot be used in uploads until dak is fixed.

        There is no tearing hurry to modify policy either. I would
 rather not add provisions into policy that are not yet useable, and
 add a temporal footnote preventing that use.This is just another case
 of innovations getting ahead of policy, and then policy changes to
 reflect reality.

        manoj
--
UNIX is hot.  It's more than hot.  It's steaming.  It's quicksilver
lightning with a laserbeam kicker.  -- Michael Jay Tucker