Re: Is dpkg --compare-versions canonical?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:03:05 +0200, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> said:

> * Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu) [050823 22:58]:
>> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>> > It is out of date since it does not explain ~ yet. Maybe, if you
>> > have the time and since you just looked at the matter closely
>> > anyway, you could draw up a few lines and send a patch?

>> I'm certainly willing to do so, but I thought that policy wasn't
>> ready to change yet.  Wasn't it waiting on implementation of that
>> feature in dak, which is currently using ~ internally for something
>> else?

> There is no reason to not update policy right now, as long as we add
> a footnote that ~ cannot be used in uploads until dak is fixed.

        There is no tearing hurry to modify policy either. I would
 rather not add provisions into policy that are not yet useable, and
 add a temporal footnote preventing that use.This is just another case
 of innovations getting ahead of policy, and then policy changes to
 reflect reality.

UNIX is hot.  It's more than hot.  It's steaming.  It's quicksilver
lightning with a laserbeam kicker.  -- Michael Jay Tucker