Re: making developer location from ldap public?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:02:08PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 22:12 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > Some people are not comfortable with having that kind of information
> > easily available on the Internet.  The default must be opt-in, or not
> > at all.
>
> While I wholeheartedly agree that the d-d's coordinates and/or
> address should only be public on an opt-in basis, what about city
> or region.

Country is already there and is already public. If you want to
do more finegrained stuff then you need to change the database and ask people
to update their records. At that point you can ask them to opt-in to this new
"feature". Those that update their records could easily mark a checkbox
saying "yes, make this public". Those that don't update or don't mark it will
not be made public.

Pondering: Can you easily easily convert latitude/longitude into
those "regions"? Do _you_ have a very good GIS available? You might
be able to do it for some countries (US, probably) but not for most
other DDs. Or have I missed something and all this GIS data is publicly
available (and free) somewhere?

Regards

Javier