Re: making developer location from ldap public?

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 17:57 +0200, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> there are two reasaons:
> - while debian developers might have access to it, it's in a form that
>   makes it hard to access it, so i doubt that anyone will look up who
>   is living at some place when he gets there. making this more
>   accessible is way easier if the one accessing the info doesn't need to
>   autheticate himself as a developer

If that's the case, we should improve developer access instead of
backing your proposal.

> - it's not only about keysigning, but mainly about getting to know more
>   people, preferably from different places. this is very interesting for
>   everyone, developers, new maintainers and also the many people who
>   contribute to debian who are not even in the new maintainer queue...

Social networking systems exist outside of Debian that do a better job
at this.  Supporting this is outside of our mandate, and not a good use
of our resources.  You're as likely to want to get to know people who
aren't DD's as who are.  How does your proposal address this problem?

> i see your point. i actually didn't expect many people to have a problem
> with disclosing where they live, but i might have been mistaken...

If you were talking about the average person on the street who thinks
nothing of sacrificing their privacy in the name of the "War on
Terror" (have a look at the polls some time, it's scary,) then yes, most
people don't have a problem with this.  However, in Debian there is a
heightened awareness and sophistication in thinking about privacy
issues, so naturally you are going to find plenty of people who would
rather err on the side of caution and keep such details as their exact
location in the world private.

Ben