Re: removing /etc/hotplug.d/ support

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 25, Horms <horms@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > There are some architectures where 2.4 is required, its
> > because of these that it seems that we are stuck with 2.4 for Etch.
> >   alpha (installer), m68k (2.6 only works on amiga), s390 (installer),
> >   mips, mipsel
> What does "installer" mean? IIRC SuSE supports s390 with 2.6 kernels.
> Also, exactly how is 2.6 broken for mips and mipsel? From a quick google
> search it looks like it's actively developed and even commercially
> supported.

Mips/mipsel spans a wide range of hardware with different capabilities
and boot methods. There is no generic kernel. 2.6 on mips is currently
well supported for some pricey prototype boards and for some older SGI
workstations.

All those popular mips WLAN devices use still 2.4 kernels, some people
started to port some of them to 2.6, but the main hindrance are binary
only (and thus 2.4 only) drivers.

The next generation of those devices will _probably_ be based on 2.6.

Thiemo