Re: Results of the meeting in Helsinki about the Vancouver proposal

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 07:58:40PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2005 23.51, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > That sounds sensible.

> > It ignores the fact that every port is a drain on centralized project
> > resources, whether it has users or not.

> How so?

> (I mean, how does my proposal to drop the 'has users' requirement in favor
> of 'do we have developers' ignore the resource usage.  I certainly do not
> dispute that a port uses resources.)

Ok, then perhaps it doesn't ignore it, but I don't believe that it
addresses it adequately.  A 5GB repository on a central project machine,
that adds to the maintenance load of DSA and the ftp-masters, is a
rather expensive sandbox to give a handful of developers in the case
that it doesn't forward the interests of our actual users.

> And even if:  would a userless port have the developers?  For one thing, the
> develoeprs are users themselves, and for another thing, even 'doorstop
> architectures' where 90% of the users are seriously computer infected, only
> a few of those are likely to be competent enough to maintain kernel and
> toolchain.  So I'd claim the (difficult to define) 'has users' requirement
> is not so much different from a (IMHO easier to define) 'has developers'
> requirement.

I don't understand why you think it's "difficult to define" this
requirement -- certainly not why it's difficult enough to warrant
dropping it.