Re: Using buildds only

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:42:18 +0200, Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>Something like this is in fact considered. Probably Ubuntu won't use
>>pbuilder itself since it is not the most efficient implementation
>>around, but rebuilding the buildd chroots from scratch would help to
>>eliminate many FTBFS bugs due to polluted chroots.
>
> Surely you are aware how much time it takes to rebuild a chroot on
> slower architectures. Some technology able to restore a large
> directory tree to a static default in short time should be used here.
>
> I am not sure whether LVM (have a LV with the master chroot image,
> make a snapshot, build inside the snapshot, remove the snapshot) could
> help here.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

LVM helps a lot in that it saves the time to 'rm -rf chroot; tar -xjf
chroot.tar.bz2'.

The biggest problem is in removing any processes left after a build so
the snapshot can be umounted and removed. As long as there is no fork
bomb running one can simply go through /proc/*/root and to find them
all.

An even bigger advantage is leaving build snapshots around on a FTBFS
so someone can take a look at them without interfering with subsequent
builds. I name each snapshot by the package that will be build. On
failure I can chroot into the snapshot and meddle around while the
buildd can hapily build the next package in its own snapshot. No
packages getting installed or removed randomly by the buildd while you
investigate.

MfG
        Goswin