Re: Using buildds only (was: Results of the meeting...)

Quoting Thijs Kinkhorst <kink@squirrelmail.org>:
> I dislike this idea: it is way overengineered. For starters I don't
> understand why you would want to run both lintian and linda, since those

I really don't care whether one has to run either lintian or linda
or both.  That's an implementation detail.  If it's automised by a
script, no maintainer ever has to care about it.

> The whole certificates construction implies that people would want to
> deliberately circumvent running lintian on their packages. I don't believe
> there are a significant number of people doing that, and if they really
> want to, they can do so anyway.
>
> If you really want to enforce lintian checks, you should run them
> server-side. O wait, we already do that. IMO, that works just fine as it

The idea of running lintian/linda and piuparts on side of the
developer machine is giving a reasonable confidence, that a
package is good enough for source-only upload.  The log could
be automatically signed with the .dsc.  No burden to the DD.

> does now; the results are visible for everyone. You could extend this to
> running lintian for new uploads and rejecting them on errors if you would
> so wish, but I do not see indications that this is actually necessary.

AFAIK, you can run lintian/linda on binary packages.  I was
proposing source-only uploads.

Cheers, WB