Re: Mindterm

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 06:15:45PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
>> Proxies and firewalling is not in my experience a huge trouble in
>> these environments; the general non-availablity of any other
>> software than IE (with JVM and various scripting languages) on
>> netcafe/library computers is.
>> Is putty available as a Java applet, plugin or the like? That
>> would solve the problem that mindterm addresses, but I doubt it.
> No it isn't, but you can always download it from the putty project
> page [1] and just run it from the Internet. Unless there are
> paranoid settings you can't change in IE you can just download the
> exe file and run it in the system you are using. Why do you need a
> Java applet when Windows will happily run any non-signed exe file?

Many internet cafe's or kiosk computers (or school computers, *sigh*
though they're a lot better than they used to be) prevent running
executables from outside specific paths, and limit write access to
those paths. Also, I've seen lots of kiosks that keep a browser in
full screen mode, preventing access to anything other than the web. A
java applet is the only viable solution in cases like these.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)