Re: executable files in examples?

Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:51:31PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>
> > I reported my wish #281892 to have a file in examples executable to
> > make it possible to create a symlink on it that is placed in the
> > PATH. Or that is to say I would like to have the file
> > bogominitrain.pl in examples executable to symlink on it from ~/bin/.
> > This way I have always the up to date version (in contrast to copying
> > the file).
>
> $ cat > ~/bin/foo
> #!/bin/sh
>
> perl /usr/share/pkg/examples/foo.pl "$*"

OK, this is a possibility.

>  That said, I guess I don't think it's sane to define policy for
>  something like this.

Do the policy say executable files are prohibited in examples?

>  My guess (I won't go near bogofilter, that dog ate my homework once
>  already) is that the script isn't generally useful

No, it's very useful.

>  and upstream doesn't want to maintain a generally useful script with
>  that functionality.

It's maintained in that way, that it is the up to date version. That's
enough for me.

Greeting, Jörg.
--
Nichts ist so langweilig, wie die Wiederholung seinerselbst.
                                        (Marcel Reich-Ranicki)