Re: runlevels remodeled

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Henning Makholm wrote:

Scripsit Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@cc.hut.fi>

2	multi-user, no network services exported, no NFS

-more secure service-wise than 3
-RH has network here, although they claim that 2 is not used

Given that it is very rare for machines these days to have banks of
local ttys attached, is a "multi-user without network" runlevel really
relevant for even a significant minory of our users? How would those
multiple users interact with the machine?

Or does it mean "single non-root user"?

Well, I've given some thought on what LSB means by "multiuser with no network services exported", and I believe it means that network is up, but no network services are yet started. This is how Redhat works (tried to check SuSE but the documentation was one 69MB download...). I admit that a machine without network is of little use, but one that you can be certain does not have any open ports is in some scenarios useful..