Re: status of jackd? (bug #318098)

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 03:56:21PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
No. Summarizing the above, experimental is there for people to break on
purpose, while unstable is there for people to break by accident. Since

that's all I was saying! Don't break it intentionally and say "it's only unstable, deal with it".

a lot of changes are happening right now, a lot of accidents happen as
well -- which results in an overall reduction in quality of the system.

and note that I explicitly wrote that I am not complaining about c++ abi changes or X.org transition (well, seems like jackd is somehow related to c++ abi even though it's not c++ lib itself)

There's nothing we can do to fix that -- other than by expelling
everyone who ever makes even the slightest mistake. But I don't like the
sound of that...

me neither but asking about an eta for fix and an explanation what's going on seems reasonable...

the s00p3r 133t newest version of everything on your system at all times.

no but I want to. Because non-1337 stuff is usally several years old (not at the moment but it's getting old fast) and not suitable for desktop usage (in general)

I hear that argument a lot, and it makes me wonder. If three-year-old
software is not suitable for desktop usage in general, then what did you
do three years ago? Use pen and paper?

  vi:-)

ok, I don't remember the dates exactly but during last few years (I think withing last three):

- I got ati 9800pro (not sure if anything in unstable is needed, I use ati driver, I think I needed X 4 and kernel 2.6.x but maybe not)

- iPod (firewire, hfs+) - according to docs hfs+ support was very experimental until fairly recently, I think I needed unstable kernel for firewire too

- SATA disk - at a time needed bleeding edge kernel with patches from jeff Garzik to make it work, new kernel (third party) also required new binutils (the ones in unstable)

- usb support (mass storage: camera, nokia ngage) - don't think it worked very well in stable but not sure about that

- firefox, thunderbird are a lot better than what was available three years ago (I think mozilla just started to be usable at that time), I also want java to work, javascript to work, latest plugins available, css to work etc.

- openoffice (previously staroffice) - only became usable recently (well, maybe some found it usable before but opne way or another it improved a LOT), MS import improved a lot (don't import many MS files but I didn't have any problems during last maybe a year while before that the import wasn't that good), etc.

- IM clients are broken fairly often (i.e. probably at least once during the period of three years) by protocol changes so you need the latest ones

- kde and gnome are both fairly immature so having a new version is usually very useful - performance, functionality etc. (this includes lot of stuff that comes with these - nautilus, koffice, konqueror etc. most of which only became usable during last maybe one or two years)

  - alsa - only became stable recently

  - jackd - very useful for audio

- rosegarden4 and several other major audio apps, essentially I couldn't even do anythign interesting with audio two or three years ago (between alsa not working very well, lack of preemptive kernel and lack of apps, not saying you couldn't do anything with audio but compared to what you can do now it's almost nothing:-)

the list goes on and on. Actually it's pretty amazing how fast the opensource software development is and how many apps were created or improved over the last few years.

	erik