Re: Usability: Technical details in package descriptions?

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:32:50 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> said:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>> A 'normal' user doesn't know what C, C++ and Perl are.
>>
>> The "user" I am creating packages for does.  I am not really that
>> interested in working for user who do not know the distinction,
>> personally speaking.

> So your "personal" target user might be able to find out the
> programming language himself and mentioning it in the description is
> also redundant.

        I am the prime representative of my target user. I use
 aptitude; hit u to upgrade, look at the new package list, and try to
 decide which of these new packages to install. The information in the
 Description field is far from redundant here.

--> We found another reason to leave the language out of the
--> description.

        If this is an example of the illogic governing the move to
 get useful information out of descriptions, to facour dumbing down
 and simplifying for users who seem to be confused by the littlelest
 things, I see no reason to favour the proposal.

        If the proponents of this proposal are so desparate to stretch
 things in order to make up support for the proposal out of whole
 cloth, surely there must be something wrong with the proposal? Or
 else why are people being so shrill?

        Indeed, this leap of illogic is disturbing in its own right.

        manoj
--
"If a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far." Paul
White