Re: doomsday not DFSG (was Re: ITP: doomsday - greatly improved engine to play doom, doom2, heretic and hexen)

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 12:12 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:20:45AM +0200, Alexander Fieroch wrote:
> > Package: wnpp
> > Severity: wishlist

> > License: GPL (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/deng)

> > About The Doomsday Engine
> > The Doomsday Engine is an enhanced and extended version of DOOM,
> > Heretic, and Hexen. It was originally based on the Hexen source code but
> > parts of it have later been completely rewritten. Doomsday is only an
> > engine; you will need a Game DLL if you want to play anything. Three
> > such DLLs are being developed alongside the engine: jDoom, jHeretic and
> > jHexen.
>
> I object to doomsday being packaged. The heretic/hexen source code
> licence is utterly incompatible with the GPL, making this package
> technically illegal. It is also very much against the DFSG. See
> <http://bugs.debian.org/264816> for a similar bug against the existing
> package for doom legacy.
>
> You could arguably only package the engine + doom library portions, but
> I don't know how much of the heretic/hexen code has made its way into
> those components (if any).
>
> I am currently trying to start negotiations with the publisher of
> heretic/hexen to relicence under the GPL; this would be the ideal
> solution to this problem (which applies to doomlegacy as alreay
> mentioned, doomsday, the derivative risen3d, another port called vavoom:
> unfortunately, virtually all the doom ports have disregarded the GPL
> in one way or another :( ) anyone interested in progress updates
> should mail me.

G'day Jon,

As the unofficial maintainer for the past 6 months, I'd like to chime in
here. The current version can be built without raven code rather easily
so it could be made DFSG free with no major loss of functionality.

The fact that no attempt has been made to contact me, when I'm listed in
the official wiki, and present in the official forums announcing new
release is disturbing. Us non-DD's don't like having our packages
hijacked either, especially when we are preparing a new release.

In this case no raven code is in the engine, and the doom or heretic
plugins, only the hexen plugin is affected.

Regards
Jamie

Please CC me for a prompt reply, as I read this list as a digest.
--
GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209