doomsday not DFSG (was Re: ITP: doomsday - greatly improved engine to play doom, doom2, heretic and hexen)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:20:45AM +0200, Alexander Fieroch wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist

> License: GPL (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/deng)

> About The Doomsday Engine
> The Doomsday Engine is an enhanced and extended version of DOOM,
> Heretic, and Hexen. It was originally based on the Hexen source code but
> parts of it have later been completely rewritten. Doomsday is only an
> engine; you will need a Game DLL if you want to play anything. Three
> such DLLs are being developed alongside the engine: jDoom, jHeretic and
> jHexen.

I object to doomsday being packaged. The heretic/hexen source code
licence is utterly incompatible with the GPL, making this package
technically illegal. It is also very much against the DFSG. See
<http://bugs.debian.org/264816> for a similar bug against the existing
package for doom legacy.

You could arguably only package the engine + doom library portions, but
I don't know how much of the heretic/hexen code has made its way into
those components (if any).

I am currently trying to start negotiations with the publisher of
heretic/hexen to relicence under the GPL; this would be the ideal
solution to this problem (which applies to doomlegacy as alreay
mentioned, doomsday, the derivative risen3d, another port called vavoom:
unfortunately, virtually all the doom ports have disregarded the GPL
in one way or another :( ) anyone interested in progress updates
should mail me.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/