Re: interacting with the press

On 13/07/05, Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I just read this article[1] in the SMH.  I think there are a few points that
> you should keep when talking to the press in future:
>
>         - don't "slag" them off / don't complain aobut the press
I don't see how his comment was slagging them off.  If you want
slagging off, look on nzherald.co.nz and look at some of the
interviews with "Winston Peters".

>         - Just talk about Debian, unless explicitly asked for comments
>         on other things (i.e. Ubuntu).
>
> In particular, it is obvious to me that you have not taken into account
> the size or audience of the paper. It is (probably) the most widely read
> paper in Australia and most of your comments have just given people a
> negative impression of Debian.
Have you surveyed Australia IT Professionals or something?  It is bad
to represent a group of people without really knowing what they really
think!  Personally, I don't THINK that it has given many a bad
impression of Debian.

> Perhaps, with the funds being held for us by SPI, it would be useful to
> arrange for you to have a 'refresher' course in dealing with the media.
I think thats up to him to decide if/when he wants one.

> Or, should you find the demands on your time too pressing, why not use
> this opportunity to step-aside as the Debian press contact.
Love the pun, but IMHO he does a good job.

--
N Jones
Blogging @ http://nigelj.blogspot.com