Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:03:11PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Packages needing fc-cache outside of libfontconfig1 can use the symlink
> > /usr/bin/fc-cache -> /usr/lib/libfontconfig1/fc-cache provided by
> > fontconfig (which they already depends on). fontconfig will of course
> > depend on libfontconfig1 (as it already do).
>
> > We only want to get rid of the libfontconfig1 depending on fontconfig.
> > libfontconfig1 will be able to call /usr/lib/libfontconfig1/fc-cache
> > without fontconfig itself being installed.
>
> Ah, quite -- sorry for not reading more closely.

So would you consider this as an acceptable option?

> > > These circular deps
> > > aren't pretty, but I don't see that any of the alternatives are actually
> > > better.
>
> > Unless you propose some ways to handle circular deps reliably, it is not an
> > esthetic issue at all.
>
> The actual impact in this case is minimal, AFAIK.

I cannot share you optimism. This circular dep is bug #310877 that I
reported while investigating bug #310490. At that time this
circular dep was really looking harmful.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.