Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 02:56:54PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 06:30:32PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > >
> > > No. See policy, §8.2.
>
> > You could ship fc-cache as /usr/lib/libfontconfig1/fc-cache
> > so it will not need to conflict with libfontconfig2.
>
> But then packages that need fc-cache have an additional burden of updating
> the path to fc-config every time the soname changes.

Packages needing fc-cache outside of libfontconfig1 can use the symlink
/usr/bin/fc-cache -> /usr/lib/libfontconfig1/fc-cache provided by
fontconfig (which they already depends on). fontconfig will of course
depend on libfontconfig1 (as it already do).

We only want to get rid of the libfontconfig1 depending on fontconfig.
libfontconfig1 will be able to call /usr/lib/libfontconfig1/fc-cache
without fontconfig itself being installed.

> These circular deps
> aren't pretty, but I don't see that any of the alternatives are actually
> better.

Unless you propose some ways to handle circular deps reliably, it is not an
esthetic issue at all.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>